Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A New Social Network Worth Following

Move over Myspace, Facebook, and Twitter.

I was listening to the radio last night on my drive home when the DJ was talking about a new social networking site. I was intrigued, because I only need another internet fad to get sucked into. This social networking site is different, very different. I think it's actually a really cool idea from the sounds of it too. It's not some silly high school "I have more friends than you, I update pointless crap on my status because I have no life, I'm more popular, Ur hott, let's she-bang, My tweets are sweeter than beets, looking for love one-night-stand online, or look at my crazy drunken beer bong stripper pictures (I don't have any for the record)."

No, this sounds like the social network utopia on the internets.

This new social networking site will launch in about 26 days according to the website.

Now, you're all wondering, "WHAT IS IT? WHAT IS THIS INTERNET UTOPIA YOU SPEAK OF?!?"

My friends, www.friendagorilla.org (not .com, see it's already better)

In 26 days, when the site launches you will be able to "befriend" a gorilla in the Ugandan Mountains and "follow" your new gorilla friend with GPS and video updates. The site is going to be very similar to Twitter/Facebook where you can keep up with the gorilla of your choice. You'll get updates about their life such as travel patterns, births, and other "gorilla" activities.

You will have to pay a $1 sign up fee to join, but if you think about it, this is a great way to help support and save gorillas in the wild. There are over 200 million people on Facebook, think of all the bananas that friendagorilla.org will be able to provide!

I think it would be a great way for younger kids in elementary schools to "adopt" a gorilla as a class "pet". Maybe even a family "pet" option for families who can't have a real pet due to allergies/living situations.

I might join the site just for shits and giggles, what about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment